Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Avifauna and NOP

Last week I went to visit the toucans at Avifauna in Alphen aan de Rijn and the NOP (Dutch shelter for Parrots) in Veldhoven to get information on management and to see if I could include their Toucans in my study to get a bigger sample size.
The Avifauna was very excited about the study and are glad to help and allowed me to observe and collect feaces from the 2 couples of Red Billed Toucans they have.
The NOP gave me lots of useful information about the management and especially nutrition, which is always a tricky thing with toucans. Although they have many toucans from all species it is unfortunately impossible to include them in my sample. Because it is breeding season the shelter does not appreciate me collecting feaces, by non invasive methods. And since this is a very delicate time I respect their choice.
As I was at both bird parks I had a look at the exhibits as well and managed some photies of various birds.

Enjoy,

SW
A male Red Billed Toucan (Ramphastos tucanus) at Avifauna
A couple of Toco Toucans (Ramphastos toco) at the NOP
Where ever I go a Crowned Pigeon (Goura scheepmakeri) crosses my path. This picture was taken at the NOP
Even wooden ones *G* This one is found at Avifauna
A portrait of a White-crowned Hornbill (Berenicornis comatus) at the NOP
Another photie of a White-crowned Hornbill holding a piece of food, taken at Avifauna
A wrinkled Hornbill (Aceros corrugatus) at the NOP
A common female duck at Avifauna
A unknown bird with a impressive tail at Avifauna
And a artistic croc next to the noisy Lorrie exhibit, what would it be quiet if that croc was real.....sigh.......

2 comments:

Linda said...

I've seen the NOP too (years ago). I do remember my sister got bitten by a large Ara!

Linda said...

oh, and you might want to visit my blog, where you can see some pictures of my visit to the Lord of the Dance show in Brussles two weeks ago! Oh my God, I loved it!!!